Monday, June 14, 2010

Vacation

Last week I took the kids to Florida by myself. That's right 4 kids; 1,3,10,and 12(with hormone problems) to Florida for a "relaxing" 7 day vacation. How cool of a step mom/ mom am I? I think a better question is will I ever do it again? NO! I give much credit to parents who do this on their own all the time and have more than two kids. That way you have a hand for each when they need it. I have a friend with one child who says anyone with more than one is crazy. Now I can understand her thinking but I love the kids all of them. Doesn't mean I don't want to knock their heads together sometimes but the threat of losing the xbox or a timeout for the younger one seems to do the trick. I realized on vacation that I love my husband more than I thought and need him in my life. (here it is honey, bookmark this page I'm gonna say it) He does a lot more with the kids then I give him credit for. It was obvious in Florida that I was out numbered and needed him. Fake it, till you make it. I didn't let them see me sweat.

OK back to vacation, So Thursday the 3rd of June I pack everyone into the suburban to have Grandpa take us to the airport. Sophie is getting so funny. Grandpa needed a potty break while we were loading up so as we sit waiting for grandpa to come back Sophie realizes I'm in the passenger seat and the boys are back with her and Sadie and no one is driving. She says " There's no somebodies driving this" We all agree and get a good chuckle out of her observation. So off to the airport we go. Get there, check in, weigh the suitcases and cleared the 50 lb limit. Wheeew! Eat some breakfast and board our plane. The boys were huge helps on the plane working together, yes it can happen, and stepping up to help with the girls. Everyone flew well including Sadie and both girls slept on the flight. When we land Grandma is waiting just outside security, as close as she can get to meeting us and is ready with hugs. In Orlando airport you have to take a shuttle from the terminal to the plane. Sophie thought this was great fun. On the way home we took the wrong one first so she got a bonus tram ride, but that's another story.

That day was spent swimming and discussing our plans for the rest of the week. Animal Kingdom, beach, Magic Kingdom, shopping, and swimming were all part of the plan.



The first day we went to animal kingdom and saw Boppa working took in some sights and hung out with dad when he got off work. All kids enjoyed it. It was hot and the little big boys were melting down. Didn't want to ride roller coasters, didn't want to do anything but sit, so we did, waited for the Nemo show and went and sat in the A.C. The girls finally saw the whole show, Soph has always fallen asleep half way through and never seen the whole thing. Sadie was amazed and kept holding the guy sitting next to me hand. He didn't seem to mind and actually offered it once. She gladly grasped on and was fascinated with the musical. I LOVE watching the world through my children's eyes. Everything is so new and exciting. There are no strangers yet. Just people who need to be reached out to and have their hand held. Sweet sweet. After that we were on our way home for the day.




We had a mellow next day as the weekend isn't good for crowds at Disney or the beach. Sunday was shopping at Downtown Disney. Boys had a good time looking at stuff to buy. Austin found some Price of Persia Lego's and Trey found a new hat he wanted. As long as they are happy .




Monday was the beach day, up early and ready to go. It was a two hour drive to Sarasota to Siesta Beach. White smooth cool sand, beautiful clear water and not packed. Boys body surfed for awhile and girls played on the shore. Sadie who wasn't a fan of the water finally came around after Grandma sat with her in the sand right where the waves ended and about every third wave was big enough to splash the inch or so water. Sophie who has no fear, proven several times this vacation, wanted to get in the waves with mom but not get her face wet,quite the challenge. We played for a bit then back to the shore. Austin and I stayed out the farthest and body surfed. It was a great day. I got a little too much sun and was still paying for that when we went home 5 days later. Oops! Boys were glad we went and mom and dad and I made a pack to go back with Aunt Sis when we go back in the fall. ( hopefully the oil will avoid that beach) It is just a beautiful natural place, with lifeguards.





The next two days were spent at Disney parks and a good time was had by all. The boys enjoyed the variety of foods there and the girls were entranced by the nightly parade at Magic Kingdom. It was late and they were tired. Sadie was on her final meltdown until it started and once the first float, Tinkerbell of course, came by she was up and ready to go. We stayed for fireworks but in hindsight should have left after the parade. Everybody was done disneying for the day and the meltdown started.
Thursday we went shopping for the boys to have gifts to take back to moms house and the boys enjoyed all the funny disney shirts. Jeff got a Im grumpy don't make it worse shirt. Hope he can see the humor in that adn Kayci got one that says It''s all about me.
Friday we were up early early to make our flight home. The girls slwpt the whole way which was nice and the boys only needed to have the phone taken from them once then promised to share nicely and had no other problems which was nice.
It was a great trip I hope the boys enjoyed it. I won't do it again without Jim. The boys are getting hormonal adn I get tired of being the one getting on them. I know the girls are too young to really enjoy it but there will be other trips since school isn't a factor.


You dose of cuteness : comes from Sadie who finally gave the sand and water a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment